Sunday, September 27, 2015

Journal Entry 1


Frances M. Brzycki Module 1

5 Reasons Healthcare Data Is Unique and Difficult to Measure, Dan LeSueur, URL 

Why was this article, blog, post, or multimedia chosen?
I selected this article because it was germane to what we are studying. Additionally, working in healthcare I wanted to read more about the 5 reasons Dan decided healthcare data is unique and difficult to measure and to see if I agree with him.

What  makes it interesting, appropriate, or reputable? 
I work in healthcare and manipulate data for key decision-makers. I'm always interesting in getting different perspectives and improving a better product for the users I support and educate.  I've worked in information technology for over 28 years and continue to be amazed how technology has morphed into new platforms implemented in the  21st century.

Is it an opinion? Case study? Research study? Product review? Research.

What was the need, problem, issue or trend addressed in the article, blog, post, or multimedia? 
The 5 issues discussed in this article include: 1)data in multiple places, 2)data is structured and unstructured,3) inconsistent and variable definitions of evidence based practices, 4)data is complex   5)changing regulatory requirements.

What was the solution for which technology had an answer? 
The Late-Binding Data Warehouse tool.  This tool allows the user to create data marts from the EWD that will allow key decision-makers to perform "what if" analysis on the data quickly without having to reload the entire EWD.

What implications might this have in healthcare delivery? 
Quicker turnaround time for both developers and end-users creating "what if" scenarios with the data. This saves the company money by having key decision-makers strategically analyze the data and determine performance outcomes and best practices cursory.

What did you learn from it that might have application for your practice? As a developer this tool would allow me to model data quicker and increase performance for my key-decision makers when planning strategic performance measures for the company and implementing best practices.



Reference
LeSueur, D. (2014).  5 Reasons Healthcare Data Is Unique and Difficult to Measure. HealthCatalyst.  Retrieved from   www.healthcatalyst.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/5-Reasons-Healthcare-Data-Is-Unique-and-Difficult-to-Measure.pdf



3 comments:

  1. Frances

    A good choice for your first journal entry...I had not thought about data and information variation from research and EBP as a problem but what LeSueur notes makes a lot of sense...in your role do you see this as an issue?

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Please see my response in DF1. Thank you.
    Fran

    ReplyDelete